|Sign up now, it's free!Signup|
Galaxiki is a science fiction galaxy created, maintained and owned by its Community. Membership is free - sign up now and start editing stars, planets and moons, or get your own personal solar system.
Your own solar system
You may name and edit as many community stars and solar systems as you like. Would you like to get your own solar system that only you will be able to edit?
Solar system widget
Use a solar system widget to display any Galaxiki solar system on your website or blog!
It's three weeks since the official launch of your site, we now have more than 500 registered users. I'll try to answer some of the most often asked questions right here, and hope this will help everyone a bit.
First of all: you don't have to buy a solar system to participate on Galaxiki, there's a large number of community stars that can be edited by all registered users for free. New community stars become available every day, you can find them via your account page.
If you'd like to get your OWN personal solar system, then you'll have to buy it. And YES, you can buy ANY solar system, star, pulsar or black hole that's still available, and YES, the price is always the same, no matter what kind of star you chose or how many planets or moons it has, and no matter if life is possible or not.
Some people asked if it's allowed to create your own galactic empire. Well, this is YOUR galaxy, so YOU decide if you'd like to create an empire! The only thing we ask is to respect the Community Rules, which means that it's not allowed to declare an empire that rules the entire galaxy, but only a local area. This could be even be a few hundred solar system located close to each other, go ahead and use the "neighbors" feature to see what's possible.
Offering a solar system to the community, to another user or to people that are not yet registered Galaxiki users is not possible yet, but this will be one of the next features that will become available.
New features on galaxiki
Some interesting new features have become available within the last few days, including a new login procedure, a new account setup wizard, a working profile manager, working talk/discussion pages and many bug fixes. Your community work is now being displayed correctly in the account section, and many more pieces of the site have been translated to german and french.
We updated the entire website design over the weekend. We already got some very positive feedback, and I hope you like it too! It's much more stylish now, and many options are easier to find.
The galaxy browser now randomly displays solar systems, and we intend to add more and more features that will make it easier to find relevant information in the future.
On many site levels you will find minor enhancements, and the talk pages are now working so that it's possible to discuss about your work.
We also started working on the german and french versions of the site as you may see, expect to see more and more translated content during the next few weeks.
Galaxiki, a fictional galaxy anyone can edit, has been successfully launched on July 1st and I got a lot of positive feedback during the past two weeks. 400 users have signed up so far, people are naming and editing stars, planets and moons, and we already got our first award: Galaxiki is Linux Journal's community website of the week! During the weekend I also updated the look and feel of the site, expect many more new and exciting to become available within the next few months.
The Galaxiki system software has been updated, the new version adds new features and fixes some problems that were reported with the last few days:
1. Finding solar systems - Big changes here: there is a new screen that lists edited solar systems as well as other interesting objects. It's accessible via "account > stars", "community > stars" (new) and the main navigation bar on the left (new - see "Solar Systems"). It's not a perfect solution yet, but it already helps a lot! A search feature is in the works, so stay tuned...
2. Solar systems showroom - You can also post your solar systems in the "solar systems showroom" in the forums, other users can then instantly give you feedback or suggestions.
3. Community contributions and user ratings - Edited community stars don't show up on your account page yet, but all of
your editing actions are definately considered when user ratings are calculated. User ratings / just for your information: getting your first star(s) should be rather easy, but each additional star will be harder to get.
4. Text editor and text display - We will improve the editing features on a regular basis, and the current text box is definately just the beginning - so expect some new exciting features within the next few weeks! Text breaks were not always displayed correctly, this has been fixed now.
5. Life forms and the Lifeforms tab - The Lifeforms tab doesn't show any useful content yet as the required features are not yet available, but I'm positive that we'll get them ready soon. The green "possible life forms" message has been updated.
6. Timeline - Some users already discussed this in the forums, and we'll definately need it. For the moment I just want to say that I'm working on a solution, and I'm sure we will find a solution that should be acceptable for everyone.
7. Forum display - Text display is now smaller, I fixed a nasty display bug and sessions IDs are now automatically hidden.
We still have some bugs - that's just normal, as this is all new, there has never been something like Galaxiki, so everything has been built from ground up. Keep on posting problems in the forums, and we'll fix them as soon as possible.
Thanks again for your patience and support !!!
The free section of our website now offers a solar system widget you can place onto your blog or website. Just copy-paste a single line of HTML code and you can have any Galaxiki solar system as a 200 x 200 pixel widget on your site, with automatically updated planetary positions! We new also offer a widget through the www.widgetbox.com service, which displays a randomly selected solar system.
We still have one week until the official Galaxiki launched, and we thought it would be a good idea to introduce our official logo now, so here it is:
For those who don't know: you can purchase T-shirts, books and DVDs on www.galaxiki.org, the commissions we'll get will be used to further enhance and expand the Galaxiki website, so if you're looking for new clothes, scientific books or sci-fi stuff you should definately take a look at the Galaxiki shops.
Special thanks to all of those who supported us during the past few weeks, those who posted news on their websites or blogs, those who told their friends about Galaxiki, those who gave us feedback, made suggestions or reported bugs. As a community website, Galaxiki depends on its users, a huge and active user base is what we need to let this site become a great place for all kinds of science and science fiction fans as well as for all other people, and with your individual help we can achieve this goal!
|as seen on...|